Every laptop chip-level repair person is a newcomer at the start as he doesn’t know how to start and where to start. So we are here to remove the confusion from you. We will discuss the solution to problems in this laptop motherboard repair guide.
There are many technicians out there who will give biased opinions about how to do things. But we are here to give an honest opinion which is called laptop chip level repair. We have divided it into 4 parts so you can have better knowledge. So let get dive deep into it.
The basic electronic preparing knowledge you must know for laptop chip level repair:
1. The Analog and digital circuits.
2. What are The opened and closed circuits in laptop chip level repairing.
3. For doing chip-level laptop repair you must know what is “Signal” and “Timing Sequence”. Let’s learn them one by one :
When the motherboard is in working it will send and receive different types of data and signals for the proper working of it. For laptops to work properly signal plays a very important role.
2) Timing Sequence
As the name suggests, the meaning of timing sequence is the meaning of two words “timing” and sequence. When AC current is provided to the laptop motherboard press down the power button until its starts and opens up successfully.
At the same time what will be happened is the circuit will send and receive signals in between their correct timings and sequences. It is required to be done to make the user unable to ready to use by the user, for this motherboard must be turned on successfully.
The timing sequence is important and must be get followed by the motherboard to start running. If one of the steps got missed or the timing is not correct then it will cause the laptop motherboard to not be on.
The market has most top brands, but most of them are using Intel or AMD chipsets. There the same chipset is using the same timing to start and run to power on the laptop. When we are able to handle these two chipsets which are Intel and AMD we can handle and repair any laptop easily.
Know how to test electronic components
A laptop chip level repair technician must know what type of components it is used in a laptop motherboard. He must also know how to test the component with proper tools and equipment.
Know the structure of the laptop for laptop chip level repair
You must need to know the struct of the laptop before repairing it. For example, you must know how to dismantle the laptop and the correct maintenance steps for it. Also, you must know the basic elements used in laptop manufacture for motherboards.
Laptops have other names also such as Portable, Notebook Computer, Laptop, NB, etc. Even in the current market laptop repair business is still maintained. But compared to the laptop repair market desktop repair got a huge drop for repairing. We will see this in our chip-level repair guide for laptops.
The Level of Laptop Computer Maintainance / Repair :
1. Application-level laptop maintenance :
This level of laptop repair mostly consists of work in software and system os installation. For example :
1) Installing the operating system.
2) Installing sound card, Bluetooth, network card, graphic card, and hardware drivers.
3) Upgrading BIOS.
2. Board level laptop maintenance :
This type of repair consists of working more on a swap-type board. For example, consider the following examples.
1) Replace CPU processor including the things like CPU heat sink and fan.
2) Replacing the existing hard disk or installing a new hard disk.
3) Replace the battery or install a new battery.
4) Do degradation or replace the existing RAM.
5) Replace a faulty keyboard or install a new keyboard in case want a new keyboard by choice( in rare cases).
6) Replace a broken screen or case of a screen that has lost its touch sensitivity if the screen is a touch screen.
7) Repacing wifi card if we want another card by any chance or already damaged / not working card.
8) And etc.
For performing this level of laptop repair the repairman should have a basic level of knowledge in electronics and types of laptop chip level testing methods. For example, he should know how to measure the multimeter to test the ohm values and voltages.
3. Component level laptop maintenance :
For performing this level of laptop repair the repairman should have knowledge about how to use a multimeter, Oscilloscope, DC Regulated Power Supply, Soldering Workstation, BGA Machine and etc. In this case, the repairman can replace the component over the laptop motherboard to solve the problem. The example of those replaceable components are :
3) IC Chips
4) South Bridge and North Bridge
5) Discrete Graphic BGA Chip and etc.
4) Signal level laptop mainboard repair :
This is also called laptop chip level repair. You must know how to do measurement and analysis of signals within the laptop.
You can also look for: Difference Between Intel Core i3 i5 and i7 Processors